Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Family Archery time, home grown chicken feed & what time is it?

What an exciting week! The Captain is on Vacation and for once, we have had many many hours of family fun together. Lil' Man spends hours shooting his BB gun our old neighbor G gave him. A wonderful Red Ryder "your going to shoot your eye out" one. The Captain purchased a pellet rifle so he can play alongside him as they come up with various items from the yard to shoot. At least it is just debris we are cleaning up anyway.
I found a compound bow perfect for the kids to use. Panda is not into shooting the various guns as her little brother, so when I spotted this Bow from Bear archery products, I did not think twice before picking it up. All 3 of our children love the new family Archery time. Panda is in that stage where she does not want to do anything and is bored all the time. ('tween hormones have arrived in our house by the way).
I have spotted her going out and practicing throughout the day, aiming at the styrofoam target we made. It has become the most enjoyed purchase shared by them.

Even our little Frog gets in on the action. For being 4 years old, she does pretty good with it. Lil' Man likes being the big brother helper by urging her on to have good form, safety awareness & all the other great tips he shares.


On the Homestead front, we are putting in a garden for growing the Chicken & rabbit feed. About 1800 sq ft with mindful intensive inter cropping. I have researched what we will grow for providing them with a healthy diet. NO soybeans for protein. LOTS of Black oil sunflowers with are just 6% less protein then the soybean. I'll go into it more later on.
The Apple press cam home & was put to use quickly. With 3 medium bowls of sliced apples, I was able to press out 3/4 of a gallon cider in under 7 minutes! It was easy. inexpensive. & does the job better then old wooden presses. I'll share more of that later, too.
There is so much more to share but I have so much left to do today. My body is tired but my mind is racing. I best be off and get a few more things done before the bugs dot me with itchy spots.
Sweetest dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...