Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Re-visiting An Old Obsession (Gypsy Caravans), And The Story Of My Birth!

I've long been more than just a little in love with the Gypsy culture and their mystical, magical, other wordly vibe.

Quite a few of my favourite books involve Gypsy characters, but one in particular is Mulengro by Charles De Lint (an author of lilting words and worlds within worlds).

Thanks to a great post over at my favourite forum the other day.... I got drawn back into searching around for gorgeous Gypsy caravans and their modern day colourful interiors.

Here's some to look at....









Now, I can soooooo imagine having one of these in my back yard filled with all my treasures and my old book 'friends' on the shelf. I'd be happy to laze in there all day, cocooned in a world of colour, joy, peace, contentment, and sentimental bits and bobs.

I've always loved nooks and little places to 'hole up' and spend time with myself.

Always......

..... from the moment I was born.

My mum was only re-telling me the story of my birth last weekend....

.... her water broke, she went into labour, and of course to the hospital. After time went by, it got to the part where I was crowning and about to 'pop out' (or so it seemed).

But, at that crucial moment, I decided 'NOPE, don't like it out here', and proceeded to disappear back up the way I'd come. At this point, the doctor (the family doctor for years) decided to 'let me be', and sent my mum home again with her determined little bundle stubbornly refusing to come out.

Well, 2 weeks later, yep... 2 weeks, I was born. They probably wouldn't let that happen now-a-days I'm guessing, as going without any protection around the baby for 2 weeks would be a bit 'scary' for most. But, this older doctor told mum to be careful with her 'determined baby' and they waited me out! (When I finally came out he told my mum he was sure I'd had my eyebrows done the first time I briefly popped my head out a bit, as they were the most distinctive, beautifully shaped eyebrows he'd ever seen on a baby - lol.)

So, I loved that nice, warm, cocooning space alot obviously, and I wasn't coming out on anyone's terms but my own.

Then, when I was still little and playing in my playpen, unlike most kids who can't wait to get out, I used to cry if someone lifted me out of the playpen or lifted it away from me.

It was my very own place in the world.

And I revelled in the security and 'me-ness' of it.

As the years progressed I had many and varied hidey holes, cubby's and secret places. And, my own room was always a place I was happy to spend hour upon hour occupying myself with drawing, reading, dancing, and creating multitudes of crafty things.

And, I've always LOVED stories with cosy rooms, secret places, and magical spots where no-one else can find you.

I think that's partly where my love for trees comes from too..... I used to climb them and spend hours enveloped in their green leafy protection. I'd read up there, eat up there, and 'spy' on people - lol.

And, walking through a stand of pine trees gives me that same feeling I love of being surrounded by a cloak of protection and security... a calm, solid, centred feeling.

Now, as a grown up (well, I 'look' all growed up!), my love for my own little corner of the world is immense. My home makes a profound difference to the way my life unfolds and my day unravels. It's my security blanket I guess, the one spot I KNOW, for sure, I'll always be able to find peace and a measure of inner contentment. It nurtures me, supports me, and cheers me on.

When it comes down to it, it seems a lot of the grown up I am today was implanted from the moment I became 'me' before I was born. Interesting to hear what the 'nature vs nurture' debaters would think about that!

Which leads me, in a round-a-bout way, back to my fascination with Gypsy caravans.....

Given my 'in-born' instincts regarding my surroundings, my intense feeling of connection with them would seem inevitable.

Little places of magic and solace.

Vibrant sources of energy, renewal, and replenishment.

Soul soothing and symbolically protective.

I'd love one to call my own.

What about you?

What is it about 'you' that's always been, and always will be?

And, how can you translate that 'me-ness' of yours into your interiors and your home?

Linda. xox

P.S. Today I'm participating in Melissa's 'link party' over at The Inspired Room. Please visit to see lots of other inspiring links and blogs!

******

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...