Friday, December 17, 2010

I'm becoming a Vintage junkie...

I mentioned before how I came into the generosity of a friend who has been sharing some vintage clothing with me. All from the estate of a sweet Little lady nicknamed, since her early teens, "Tootsie". There is a great amount of late 50's all the way into the late 70's clothing which I have been cleaning in preparation for sale on a new Etsy site. Men's as well as women's.
As I picked up a pastel wool plaid skirt, I heard a slight jingle. Checking the pockets I found a dime & a penny in one side. Checking the other pocket I found 2 vintage heart charms from the Sarah Coventry line and this hand hammered tea kettle made from a penny. Since I am lacking better lighting, I am including the pictures from a local ebay seller who has listed the same kettle with 8 of the many diverse Penny charms from the WWll era. A victory bracelet, perhaps?

Looking at the bottom of the charms, you can see these were made from pennies:
The kettle I found is missing the copper wire handle but otherwise is in mint condition. I am contemplating it's repair. I have a trusted family jeweler whom I will bring it in to for cleaning and inquire if they can make/attach the handle for hanging on a charm bracelet or necklace.
It is such a beautiful piece! When showing to the captain I said "look what I found in the pocket of a skirt." to which he replied "a monopoly piece?". laughing I said "No silly. It's a tea kettle made from a penny!"
I am so struck by this little charm and found myself drifting off. Wondering if it was from a bracelet of Tootsie or a family members bracelet.
Researching online I found there are many diverse pieces that collectors enjoy. On one site, they show 17 pieces! I wish I could find more history on this rare find. I have so many questions. Was this a fad or was it from being resourceful during a time of materials being scarce? Are these from a young girls bracelet, collected as children now do cards? Bought from the dime store and traded amongst friends? Who made them and how?
I hope I can find more history on these as I wish to include accurate information to go with it's selling.
I have so many great clothing pieces and 50's lingerie peignoir sets all my time has been spent on. Hand washing of this amount has made my hands rather soft. Who knew woolite could that?
Today I start on the Mother daughter matching pink {large plaid} drape capes which have gold buttons and tags that say "specially handmade by" : Nancy on the larger / Mother on the child size.
Maybe I will actually begin some listings soon, but the weather prevents comfortable picture taking of the pieces. Perhaps this weekend will be better.

Sweet dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...