Monday, December 27, 2010

Winter dreams of Wicker baskets & bikes...

This has been the most enjoyable winter in 13 years since my move from Florida. The snow has laid it's white blanket upon the ground and branches beginning in late November. The fat flakes falling and swirling with perfection from the view of my window. The beautiful stone front of the cottage with long icicles clinging to a gutter in one corner of the Bay window. A graceful Pine enhancing the picture perfect backdrop. Moments such as these which fill my mind and heart with great happiness. The feeling of "Home" has never been sweeter.
I am so in love with our Stone cottage. From the wood mantel 1940 Fireplace to the curves of the entry ways  between rooms. The very large Kitchen with double porcelain sink beneath the wide window overlooking the back yard. The large stone front & round top door out front puts the cherry on my delight. I do not have a single dislike. There are little things that need done such as insulating/sealing the alcove closets and the addition of expansion foam behind exterior wall plug sockets, but I gladly take these little things which come with the charm of having our cottage on 3 acres.
 There seems to be something missing. Of course the front yard picket fence is in plans but does not seem to be in the near future. No... something else. Something I could not put my finger on until now.

As I sat cuddling with my lovely Frog, drifting off into a Spring dream. I pictured the picket fence finally in place around the garden. Green tips pushing from beneath the soil. I, in my long skirt and peasant blouse with the embroidered Apron I am working on, tied around my waist. Then the thought of wicker baskets floated in and then... a light blue Schwinn similar to what some would call "an old ladies bike". Complete with front Wicker basket where Ming the Peke would ride as we roamed the country roads surrounding our cottage.
I opened my eyes and smiled. That is what I am missing. A Bike! Fit for my unusual Farm Chick taste.
Quickly I grabbed the laptop to search online at how much Beach Cruisers are running these day's and if I could even find a basket fitting for my little white dog. Maybe even double baskets for the wheel back area so I can ride with our family to the park for a sunny day picnic.
Don't laugh! O.k. I know it may seem funny but I have secretly desired these since my first ride on one at the age of 12. Friends will laugh. My kids as they get older may be embarrassed. But I will be happy with my Old lady bike and the rides on our country roads with Ming the Peke riding shotgun.
So brought it up to The Captain. "Honey, I need a bike. But not just any bike. I want an Old lady style beach cruiser with high handles and  wicker baskets on front & back. The front one has to be fitting for Ming to ride in and the back for picnic supplies."  I could see the grin start and he replied so serious sounding " I assume you would like a little silver bell to go with this ensemble?". "yes. yes I would. "clink clink".
 I can sell my old bike and use the money towards the new one."
I was surprised he did not say Maybe or No. He laughed a little but totally agreed. The bike I have now is from when Panda was born. A mighty nice bike but a man's with handle bars that make me hunch. Leaving me with no desire to go for bike rides that end in an aching back.
So now a cotton candy pink or pale blue "old lady bike" complete with at least a front wicker basket is on the list for purchase before summer.
Yay me!

Sweetest dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...