Friday, December 15, 2006

A costume clothes rack & in need of hop rhizomes...

I have been planning to make a rack to hold all of the costumes I have made for the kids (i.e the cloaks, capes and dresses). I could not find a single example of what I wanted until I came upon this:
Now this is what I am talking about! Of course the price tag is not what I deem affordable ($433) but I have sharpened my carpentry pencil and came up with a how to for my own. I sat at my desk looking over all the details and have come up with a supply list in the cost range of $30. I am speaking of inexpensive woods but not plywood of course. It is very simple. Once I sat and let those gears do their thing. I love that feeling I get when I get in my creative mind frame! Such a rush! The flat top will hold a Rubbermaid style chest drawers for all the accessories like jewelry, wigs, and the yarn beards I am making now. This is for their Winter holiday gift. Panda will also get her very first sewing machine! My MIL picked it up at BJ's warehouse club for $40- a singer brand but she said it looks like the ones she sees for $90 elsewhere. I also picked up 3 wooden kid flutes. I am making (hand sewing) them each a flute carrying bag to go with it. My machine is down for the count along with my camera so here it is the week before & I am trying to brainstorm the back up gifts.
So on to the hop Rhizomes. Anyone have extra they are willing to share? I have not been able to successfully grow any from seed. They just sprout then die. So I am in hopes that someone may have extra rhizomes they are looking to be rid of (or so kindly share?) . Its a long shot but stranger things have happened. I would like them for planting in the old house front garden bed-see picture on right- where I am putting in some white trellis walls with an arch in on them. I hope anyway the arch holes will fit around the glass block window areas so as not to block the light out. (message break- The picture is from this last Spring. The walls are brick facing over cement block so have cracked from the bad job the workers did- it is not my foundation cracking. The rust stains are being removed along with the old handrail which has caused it. It will be replaced with a newer railing. now back to our message). All that wonderful rich soil will be trucked up to the hill and placed in my raised garden beds. The area will be flattened and grass seed applied. The bricks and stones have all been removed thanks to that sunshine and 60 F degree weather yesterday! I have some metal garden chairs (4 green ones) I will put there to give a garden nook spot. I also hope to put a trellis wall blocking the side view and grow some hops up it for a more private area. The trellis walls with the arch's were so nicely given to me from my neighbor who lives behind us. He is a single dad of a 14 year old who has been dubbed "tractor boy" due to his midnight rides around the yard with his many yard tractors. He has a sleeping disorder- he doesn't sleep! Seriously. He sleeps a few hours and that's it. Dad barely sleeps too. But wonderful neighbors! I will miss them when we leave. So I am off now to pick up my wood supplies and stop at the thrift store for more accessories.
"Hop's" dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...