Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Rambling about changes

The Fall of 2003 project
Do not let these sun filled days fool you! Cold weather is here and despite the great urge to play outside, the inside of the house is calling. There are walls to be painted- every wall in the house actually. Floors to be tiled, along with a certain little boys room which needs carpet laid -since in a recent fit I ripped it up after discovering the dogs and said little boy were having- dare i say it- a pissing contest!
So while the homestead on the outside sleeps, the inside must get a reawakening.
I started the walls back in 2003. Yes 4 years ago. The kitchen and dining room have that 80's style wall board with a floral print on it. I filled every single line notch on every wall which took 3 days which then required the sanding that took 2 days to do then a month to clean up from doing it.
I have not accomplished much more then those walls since our purchase of our home. Other then ripping out carpets and painting, I have only messed with the outside and looking back at pictures from that first year, I have to say I like the way it looked before the barnyard on our hill.
Now I bring this all up because this house will go on the market this coming Spring. I have tried to view everything about this place from an outsider view. I have realized, I am a rarity. There really are not alot of people who would want the animals or have used the property as we have that would pay the price we need and am told this place is worth. Changes must be made and spaces opened up once again.
I think the old chicken coop/ goat house/ back to a chicken coop has to go. Along with all my perimeter fencing. I must focus more on the resale of this home no matter what it takes. I will not get rid of my girls but may need to cut down on the hens. All of last years spring chickens except the turkens, must go. I may try to offer them with Mr. Echo in the Spring. I know, I know- what about Clyde?! No way am I getting rid of my Clyde! I will cut back to 2 roosters and 3 hens and then cross my fingers that the "slow" turken hen will go broody for the start up of a turken flock as we had hoped for before all the other chicks were umm played to death with by dear old Jack.... That leaves Captain Feather Sword and Turken for the roos. Then for the hens we will keep our 4 year old hens Fletcher and Dr Seuss plus keep the young turken hen.
All of the animals will be kept in the goat cabin come Spring and share a run. I will put a small covered corner box for the hens to lay in and goats to lay on- preventing the eggs from being smashed plus put an old wood ladder in there for night time roosting. Lots of other changes will be made but despite my downsizing, I will NOT go without my gardens.
That reminds me,I need to build some compost bins for that big mound out there. I am sure it would give a more tidy appearance to any potential buyers. Just the idea of having to appear like we do not live here gets me all hyped up. The Captain and I, 3 kids with only 1 of school age, 2 dogs of 2 extreme difference in size, 2 goats with babies on the way, 5 chickens and a Muscovy drake all live in this house with a first floor being 1,120 square feet with a walkout basement being of the same sq. footage plus the property of 1.18 acres. I need to keep all of this clean and great looking for any potentials who drive by or for that spur of the moment call by the realtor.
Yep. Sounds like a ball of laughs to me.
I seem to have left out a tidbit. The captain is looking to get a promotion which involves a relocation to Hagerstown Maryland. (its on the east coast of the U.S) So I have been trying to look around just over the borders in W.V & Pennsylvania for ideas on where we should look for land and build a home. Haggerstown is within 20 miles of both of those state borders so we could live in which ever we like. But it seems prices there are not any better then here as I had hoped.
Frog has finally nursed herself to sleep so I am off to do my night time cleaning.
Sweet dreams
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...