Sunday, May 6, 2007

Lets talk Dandelions... (link heavy)

Lady Chia wearing her dandelion crown- Mr.Turken behind on left

What a wonderful plant with a bad rap. I get so excited in the Spring, when they cover our hill like a yellow blanket. Much quicker to pick them that way in my opinion.
Around this time last year, we picked till our little fingers became stained yellow & green. if you were a reader of my previous blog- this would be a reminder. We tried our hand at Dandelion Wine. No, I have not tried what was made since it must sit for 1 year from its bottling, before consuming. that would put me at around next month. Very excited to try it and have decided I will pick blossoms again this year to make a batch for next years Summer Solstice celebration. Here is a link to a similar recipe we used- refresher for some of you who followed along and made batch's of your own. I cant seem to find the original one we had used and of course my notebook was shredded and marked by those little 2 legged monsters who get into my computer area....
I think I found it! Remember, the recipe we used was putting the "cake" of yeast on rye bread to float in the crock?! I used my crock pot since this time of year it is not used.
I found a few other recipes online and thought I would share with you, so you too can utilize those golden blooms dotting the landscape. I'm sure your neighbors would not mind you "pulling their weeds" if you do not have enough on your own. This link has Dandelion root coffee, dandelion greens with sausage, a Dandelion dip, plus more so just go check it out. i found a site showing (pictures!) how to make dandelion fritters, too.
I swore that this year I would attend the annual Dandelion festival in Dover Ohio. I forgot all about it until today. Today was the last day... DOH! I did find that there is one to be held in White Sulphur Springs west Virginia on May 25-28, 2007.
Maybe a chat with The Captain will bring me success on my hope to attend a Dandelion Festival this Spring. I want to try the various Dandelion wines.
Well that and some greens with sausage, maybe the fritters or...
So many things to do with a Dandelion besides eating it..Like name a Band after it! Like The Dandelion Junk Queens . I liked this song called Scum bags courtship. Made me smile...
Of course there is much more like make Dandelion crowns, jewelry,or A spring tonic.
So much out there to try. Be adventurous. Eat something wild and live to tell about it. I assure you, its not as bad as your brothers uncles fathers son told you. Its all about process and patience.
Puff ball dreams,
Tammie
*P.S. found a band named Dandelion Wine.
Heres a sample of their sound*** (in MP3)
A folk sound mixed with contemporary folk/fantasy.
Explore the wonders of the Dandelion....
~The Unusually Unusual Farmchick~

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...