Saturday, May 19, 2007

grey water waste solution & you silly kid....

The clouds could not decide what it wanted to do today so I centered my attention on some of the little things around the outside. Last Spring we had to have the road ditch re-dug due to some major overflowing storms. This had an effect on the drain pipe for the washer. Apparently previous owners had it draining to that road ditch and being re-dug cut it off. Thats the day my laundry room sat in water. Thankfully the floor is tilted towards the outside door.
So where am I going with this? Well we had to find an alternative and having it directed to the sewage tank would cost WAY too much plus who knows what effect it may have afterwards. I kept picturing damage being done to our private in ground septic system which would make us have to get a new one...Not going there. So the most logical solution was to have the washer pipe go through the block wall and another flexible pipe directing the grey water into a downspout pipe, This downspout pipe goes under the hill ledge next to the driveway and ends just past the edge of the wall into the lawn.Is it enviromently safe? I dunno...Is it legal? I dunno... so shhhh... ~~to the right is drain pipe- look close~~This is my solution to the river that flows from it ( and a rock wall that was falling apart into a unrepairable eye sore. This is an improvement at least). I dug 2 ft deep trench's which were lined with big rocks then small then medium size. This acts as a buffer to the soil as well as a filtering system for debri. It has a waterfall effect when the first "pool" fills. It then overflows under the big rock set in the upper middle, into the lower level "pool". From there it has slowed down and barely flows out into the sideline of the newly graveled driveway. It does go under the new gravel but does not wash out the driveway rocks or have messy debri/dirt in the lawn.
In the above picture, look back towards the roof drain pipe and where it meets at the ground. You will also see the washer black pipe coming out of the house. -We planted a shrub but it will take another season before filling out to hide it.- I have more hostas to plant around the cottonwood wood above it and soon the grass will grow through the fresh plantings to make this appear more natural. The picture makes it look worse then it actually is. But you get the idea of my less then $10 grey water waste solution.
Delilah has fit in wonderfully and quickly became a house goat. She goes outside to potty every45 minutes- 2 accidents in 3 days!. The first 2 nights she slept with me on the couch in my arms. It was either that or hear that MAAAA!!! all night long. Last night Panda slept with her but at opposite ends of the couch. Its an improvement.~Delilah sleeping on my garden dirty feet while I make Chicken and dumplings for dinner~

As you can see, she is adjusting to life without momma or other goats, & into a spoiled house goat. It will stop soon. I swear.... but she is just so well behaved! In the dining room, she has her own little nook to lounge in and take her naps. Which today she took a long one after all that playing outside with us. She even went on her first walk up the road. Panda wanted to ride her bike, and I wanted to start leash training our new girl. in the beginning Delilah refused to walk and wanted to be carried. So I did...sucker... Then half way up the road I put her down and she did wonderfully. Ultimately, despite the intermittent sprinkles of rain, it turned out to be a good day.
Gotta go. I hear my name being called...
MAAAA!! MAAAA!!
Sunny dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...