Monday, September 13, 2010

Cider press pomace uses, pie bread & Tractor talk.

The Captain and I have been discussing what resourceful way to use up all this apple pomace left over from pressing. Of course our chickens are so sick of apples, they refuse to even go near the stuff.

I have a 1 gallon zippy bag full from pressing this morning with my friend Jeannie.
The two of us came up with a few ideas after tasting a little of the pomace. We realized the great apple taste was still there! So experimenting has begun.

The first recipe up is this *Apple pie bread * I clipped from a BHG mag last year. This bread was such a hit, I was receiving oRdERs for it from the bus drivers at the kids school. I had given a loaf to the bus driver one morning- Yes, I am one of those moms who bake up stuff and send it with the kids for those other adults in their daily lives- and when she brought the kids home that afternoon, begged me to bake up more. She had shared some with the other drivers and I had a weekly order of 5 loaves up into the winter season break!

There was not any difference in taste using the pomace. Having the apples chopped into little pieces from the food processor made every bite explode with that great fresh apple taste.


I did do a few different things then what is listed in the recipe directions. For one, I mixed everything up in the food processor. I just kept turning it on between ingredients. When i added the apple pomace, I added about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the fresh cider. Plus, I buttered the pan with real butter.

The kids would not wait for the loaf to cool and devoured half of this very large loaf in one sitting. Along with a glass of fresh pressed cider despite my protests they drink milk instead. the bread is moist, airy and full of wonderful Fall flavor.

These loaves do freeze well as long as they are wrapped in wax/butcher paper before putting in a zippy bag. We let them defrost at room temp and pop in a preheated oven of 350 Degrees (F) for 10 minutes before eating.

I am still working on my fence project and am pulling out over half the garden in preparation of the winter Rye cover crop. We have also been busy with getting/splitting firewood and making racks for them to sit on. As always, staying busy before the wind down season of cold hits.



I am also heading out this week to look over a TRACTOR for purchase. It is a Ford 2N (1947), which will not win any beauty contests due to a age taking it's wear. But works good like a tractor should. It may not be until the Spring when I can bring home the future pink beast, but either way, shopping around has begun.


If you have not done so, have a look at *the current giveaway* I am hosting for 2 pairs of tickets to the Mother Earth News Fest coming up the weekend of September 25-26, 2010. It is in Seven springs Pennsylvania. I am attending on a journalist pass for sharing with those of you who are not able to make it. Having the sneak peek for the scheduled workshops & speakers has me all pumped up. Already mapping out what is a must see & which tent it is held in. So much to choose from. So much to experience & learn. Many videos will be inspired by the weekends events. So no worries if you miss it. You will not miss out. Just watch for future videos I share in credited with this premier Homesteading party!
P.s Iam trying to work with a certain company in hopes of using one of their 8X6 greenhouses for some cold weather gardening videos and to show the durability of this inexpensive piece. Cross your fingers with me for a positive outcome.
Sweet Dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...