Monday, September 27, 2010

Back Home & Hi Honey, we have a problem...

What a weekend. The Mother Earth News Fair was a hit! Over 5,000 people attended the first day. Self reliance/sufficiency were the hot topics and M.E.N gave it well. The workshops & lectures brought a wealth of information to all who attended. No worries, I will be sharing what oats they have sown, affording us the ability reap a portion of their skill. From cover crops to bread baking. From fermented foods to Natural First aid kits & how to begin your own backyard medicine cabinet.

We arrived at the Laurel Hill campgrounds just after 7pm. Enough time to get the tent up and build the fire. "White willow", my camera girl, was my accomplice for the weekend.
This was our first ever ski "chair lift" ride. Both of us are not fans of height, but I made her promise if she has to puke, do it below her towards the BMX riders and not at me or the camera.
Her knuckles were white from the gripping but she was a trooper.
All endured for sharing with you, this amazing shot of the Seven Springs Mountain Ski resort:

Back to our first night ....
The weather was great for tent sleeping, minus the rain which fell, making for a slight chill the next morning. That is when the weekend took an ugly turn.
Lets begin with the emergency phone call to The Captain about 10am on Saturday. The number I called him from did not provide caller information on the caller i.d.

Hubs: Hello?
me: Hi Honey, ummm... we have a problem.
Hubs: What problem? whats wrong?
me: Ummm. well, I'm sitting here in jail...

Hubs: What!? wait. What?!
me: laughing...no just kidding honey calm down. I'm at this auto parts store and my battery is dead. as in no way it will work kind of dead. But I do not have enough for returning home and a battery. What can we do?

Hubs: sighs... will they take the debit over the phone?

So the great mngr of the auto parts (local owned) shop spoke with my husband and hooked us up.

Before he hung up, "B" the mngr asked me : "Do you want to talk to him before I hang up? "
me: Just tell him I love him.
"B": i'm not telling him I love you....
and hands me the phone as were both laughing.

BUT that is not the whole story. It starts at 8:30 am when we woke to start the car. We hear "click click" and nothing. Crap! So I went looking for a jump. A camp site not far from us had a few people awake & I did hate having to ask, especially as I could hear & smell breakfast was being prepared. The men from the site willingly came over to have a look. (poor guys had no clue what was in store for them). They brought their truck over to give us a jump. They tried for a good 15 minutes before checking out my starter. Doing the "hitting with a wrench" technique. Take in mind, these guys have no clue to who we are and came to lend a few gals in distress a hand, as their wives were back at camp preparing their warm breakfast. I did not even have coffee to offer them.
They spent a good 1/2 hour to 45 minutes with us. After figuring out my battery was dead & in no way taking a charge, they...hold on to your seat people... LENT us THEIR battery! From one of their vehicles! Just so we could get to the auto parts store and to the event. How freaking awesome is that?! That is just not something that happens anymore. Not only did they go back to a cold breakfast, they did all they could, to ensure we would be O.K. We had their battery all day plus they did not blink an eye when they found out the new battery had to be put in (with their tools since we had none) in order to get theirs back.

I found out they have a site and I would like to shout out to the world how awesome these 2 were. No questions. Nothing asked in return. Just helping out their fellow (wo)man with an open heart and now dirty grimed hands in return for their kindness. Speaks alot for a person with their actions. If I have a successful hunt this year, you know whose business I will support!

I had nothing to offer but some "special V.I.P" tomato seeds from our news press media grab bags. (But Hey! Only V.I.P's got those, so they were special seed dagonnit! LOL. )
So if you have a moment, give these wonderful gentlemen some support and hop on over to their site, ( http://www.killitandgrillit.info/ ) Tell them Those Unusual Farm Chicks sent ya...And thanks for the battery! Have a look around their site and if you are in the market, check out the information & recipes. Some goods for hunting & cooking they carry too. Not to mention some cool gun & hunting info.

I have some more unpacking to do and a few "toys" I can not wait to play with (Thanks to some awesome vendors/owners I met during our time away). I will share soon, some more weekend events and our "put a big N on our foreheads for newbie press gals" excitement.
Sweetest Dreams,
~Tammie




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...