Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Buckwheat harvesting, a Rooster & Holy Beehive

What started out as a cover crop is now a chance to experiment in a grain harvesting. Mr.J had planted this  Buckwheat last July in a new garden plot next door. Mother Nature had her own plans and rain came down preventing it from being cut & integrated into the soil at the proper time. I recently asked Mr.J if he would want to try a small portion  for harvesting the grain so it's not a waste. When he said go for it, I could not have been happier. My distraught mood earlier in the summer over NOT being able to make my grain video is still not 100% turned BUT I will do the best with what I have been so kindly given instead of turning away from the gift of opportunity. With the best of intentions to make things solid.
 The flowering Buckwheat on September 14th

Almost ready but not quite on October 4th
 Rain is in the forecast for the next few days so time to harvest what we can before it's a bust. Planting Buckwheat is pretty simple. Just follow the directions you receive with the seed. The hard part is determining when to harvest. I have  never grown a  grain for harvest and despite the Ag resources, words can only explain so much to someone who has never even seen the stages.
You want to harvest when 3/4 of the grain are ripe, this will help cut down on losing a good amount to the ground from the plants natural releasing. But to know when it's ready, the actual grain, do not depend on the leaves for indication. It's all about the grain.

And this...is the first way I harvested-  cutting the stems closer to the ground and  with a hand siket {I tucked it in my jeans back since I had no belt for the sheath cover loop} using a sheet or tarp-whatever mode of "holding" you prefer. It was about 1 hour of slow harvesting to get this bundle by myself. The deer had trampled so much out there as well as that last rain we had smashing them down to lying along the ground.
I quickly learned this was not an efficient manner of harvesting. Just over 2 hours of work produced a small amount to which I realized there had to be a simpler method. I quickly grabbed a pot & added a string for a neck loop- as if we were berry picking- then headed out to the field and stripped the grains from the stem directly. THIS was far quicker and also benefited in seeing which ones were ripe or have already released their seed. Grasp the stem lower then the grain portions, between index & thumb, then pull your hand into a cup form as you bring the fingers towards you pulling the grain off the stem & into your lower cupped fingers/palm. Almost twice the amount in under an hour.
The rain began overnight after this harvest so I doubt I will have anything more harvestable. At least the experience & a little grain were gained.
**TIP: as for removing the hull, The grain is spread out to dry, then a jaunt in the oven for 90 minutes at 180 F degrees to help dry it to the proper stage. Once dried, using a manual OLD style meat grinder with the multi hole disk- simply feed the grain through, using adequate hole size disk to grain size, which will help"open" the hull. Then spread out on sheet, spread around a bit, rough it up some. No need to be gentle. Flop around in the sheet, beat it a little, then spread out again. Use a fan, starting on lowest setting angled at level to gently "blow" hulls from the grain kernal. THEN either store away or Bust out the grain grinder Grain Maker and Mill some buckwheat flour. Our entire family can operate the Grain Maker, despite what some much older reviews on other sites have stated. If my 5 year old can turn the handle, then it's not a hard job to do. 
Stay tuned for more on this subject coming next week. My trip to the LDS cannery for stocking up on bulk wheat berries & more. ** 

As for the rooster? Well Sweet Root Beer had an expandable spiral style leg band placed on him this summer so we would know which one we planned to keep. Despite being a large size that was also bought in spiral style for prevention of this very next reason, it happened anyway.
Some how in the last week, the band managed to work its way up to a high point on his leg, causing him a slight limp. When I noticed the new placement I picked him up to remove it,being there is no longer a need for the band. What I found was not pleasant. His leg had swollen due to the pressure and it took some finagling to get off. Once off there was a little clear liquid from the area but at the time, no blood or appearance of an open wound.
The next morning he was limping a bit more and there was an open wound.
I picked him up, swathed in a towel, to clean out the wound with peroxide. I thought I had
some tea tree oil but can not find it. Grrr. So I did a quick search looking for something to help prevent the others or himself from picking at it while it healed. PEPPER! Fresh ground pepper. I had read over on Free range living about the use of pepper which would also help deter them from picking at the wound. and am ever so happy she had shared that tidbit.
The very next day I could see it was far better and on it's way to healing.
I swear there's always something going on with the barnyard.
Oh! Guess what I found has happened to the Beehive?

 Not sure how,and know it was not there before but...
There is a hole in the top frame box corner these little buggers have decided was a great shortcut for dropping off their harvest. sigh. Really? And how am I suppose to fix that before Honey harvest when anything I stuff in the hole they will just remove and treat as debris.
I'll figure this one out soon enough but my hopes are that it does not involve me getting stung again.
Until next time...

Sweetest dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...