Tuesday, March 13, 2007

What is the definition of farm?

There seems to be stereotype what a farm is. So in a conversation with a long time (farmer) family friend I asked his opinion on how he would define a farm as. His response was "land that is used to raise livestock and / or food. I asked did it matter how large the land is to make it a farm and his response was if if you (do the above) its a farm.
So I checked for online definitions and this is what I found ***farm
A tract of land cultivated for the purpose of agricultural production. A tract of land devoted to the raising and breeding of domestic animals.***
Now I call our place a hobby farm since it is not a full time devoted homestead. It is used as a generic term. I raised meat chickens last year to provide meat for the freezer. I "cultivated" our land for vegetable/fruit production during the season that is either canned or frozen for my family's consumption. I raise chickens (down to 5 for the winter) for their eggs, meat and for the sheer pleasure of it. I have raised multiple dairy goats for the purpose of milk production ( but it seems there will be no milk this year since the girls did not take to being bred in the fall). Now from what I see & have been told by big parcel holding farmers, it does not matter that I have just over an acre. I was able to produce for my family healthy organic foods and animals on my land. How does that not define my land as not being used as a farm? If I say homestead most people do not understand what that term is, so I say I "play farmer".
The size of your land does not make you a farmer. Its what you do with it. Anyone can have 10 acres of land but that does not make them a farmer. Its only what they do with that land that will give them the title of Farmer.
Now to define why I call this suburban- Western Europe the word "suburb" usually refers to a separate municipality, borough or unincorporated area outside a central town or city.
I live 4 miles from the "big city" limits. I live in Ohio. There are cow pastures & corn fields next to mcmansion neighborhoods and sometimes right in the middle. Does that make it not a farm? I think not. The lesson here is do not assume what you know nothing about. Arm yourself with knowledge before you start throwing dirt. And of course the big one- Ask sincere questions before you assume something is not what you think it is.
Sweet dreams,
Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...