Monday, March 5, 2007

I love Cilantro

The taste is so a clean & cool. I craved it when I was pregnant with lil' man. It had to go along with my homemade tomato salsa which also contained vinegar . Which actaully was the 3 most craved items during that Pregnancy. All together of course but individual the same. I made mexican shredded pork for dinner so of course I ate all mine with half a bunch of you know it- Cilantro. Looking around on the net one day I came upon an article discussing how the government did a study on cilantro and it seems that Cilantro-

"is an excellent way to increase the urinary excretion of heavy metals from your body.Accumulations of mercury, aluminum, and other metals in your nervous system and body tissues have been linked to cancer, arthritic conditions, muscle pain and weakness, and memory problems. Cilantro is the only natural alternative to chelation therapy that I'm aware of. Chelation therapy uses chemicals like EDTA to help flush out heavy metals and can be costly. Researchers have found that cilantro was able to remove mercury from patients in two to three weeks, without the help of any chelation agents."
So I guess what most would see as a garnish actually has immense benefits to your health. Of course that would never stop me from eating one of my top 3 culinary herb must haves in the garden. Its always nice when you can walk out into the yard with a bowl and knife. Pluck some Cilantro (aka -coriander plant) and grab a few ruby tomatoes. Sit down at the bench and cut away. Toss the 2 together and I , my dear, am quite content. Add along with that wonderful glass of homemade Sangria I was sipping on the way out...
So here is the big endorsement for Cilantro. GROW SOME.
Sweet dreams,
Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...