Friday, March 16, 2007

Barnyard problem solved...

I had an ongoing problem with keeping piggy Clyde from eating Chia's food before she can finish it. The chickens are not innocent. They would help themselves to it right along side him. Clyde scoops with his bill where the chickens are peckers. So hence "piggy" for his scooping larger amounts. I stumbled upon a solution one day when I forgot to grab her normal "rubber" black bowl one night. I usually wash her feed bowl every other day and would sit with her to guard off the begger's before taking it in. The next morning I realized I had left it out there so I grabbed the freshly emptied Plastic coffee can to pour her food for transporting. Once outside I saw crud in her black bowl (which happens if I do not grab it after each feeding) and let her eat from the coffee can instead. Clyde came running over to help himself but soon realized there was only room for one head with this container. VOILA! Problem solved. Chia now knows this is her bowl and will wait nicely while I throw down chicken food. She keeps her eyes on that coffee can. As soon as I move towards the other side of the pen, she walks calmly past the frenzy of feathers knowing whats inside will be all for her. I love it when problems are solved so simply. I have had the bucket feeders but the chickens just fly up and roost on the side while helping themselves. So this was a great solution plus I go through one a week so the supply is unlimited. We hop back and forth between brands- I'm a tightwad (proud of it!) and go for what costs less each week. Fortunately, this brand usually costs the least at the store I frequent.
That is not the only use for coffee cans in my house. I use the metal ones for animal cracker (hiders) holders. Chia loves them and Frog is a big fan too. I use them to store bags of flour, cornmeal, etc that I have poured into ziploc bags. We have ladybugs galore in this house especially in the Spring. So coffee cans are a big help to keep the kitchen items untouchable. Nothing like scooping out a cup of flour to discover a red circle in it...
Sunny dreams,
Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...