Saturday, May 17, 2008

Being social and surprised....

We ventured out to Crown Point Ecology center, in Bath Ohio. They have an annual Organic plant sale, which I was hoping I would not forget to attend this year. (I am so freaking forgetful anymore...)I mainly went for the herbs and hoping some of the heirloom veggies they had listed on their "checklist", would still be plentiful when I arrived. Such a crowd and the barn was PACKED! I brought Panda and Tuesday's younger daughter with me. While I shopped in the no elbow room barn, the girls were being distracted with staff playing field games. Some very flirtatious older men had me laughing and smiling as I walked to get coffee , since the girls were still being entertained. Such Charmers...
So, what's in the basket, ay?1 Sweet Marjoram
1 Greek oregano
1 Stars and Moon watermelon
1 Sibley ark (pikes peak) winter squash
1 Charenteis (which was mixed in with the squash- thought I grabbed 2 Sibley's)
I had hoped for lemon grass, but it was all gone by the Park member's 1 hour early event. Sigh... Maybe next time.
The girl's were still playing, so I took a 1 woman tour through the grounds around the barn. I spotted :a greenhouse full of greenies.
a rich dirt field waiting for it's greenies.a private garden, that looked rather enticing in person, unnoticeable by photograph.
A little red shed with a large pen surrounding it. I assume once upon a time, sheep may have grazed in it's confines.and stacks of these rustic wooden box's, I oohed and awed over. Gently lifting one. Tracing it's worn edges with my finger tips. Imagining the Sisters placing tender plants in it's hold.Then awaiting transplant to the massive gardens where it will grow under their care until harvest time. Where it will then be placed into a truck and taken to the local food banks.

Takes a gardener to appreciate such sights....
Truly a calm, serene day. To end it on a final sweet note, I found 45-50 wild strawberry plants growing around the compost pile. These are from the very sweet bursting strawberries that I have to try and beat the kids and animals to, every year. It's like the compost pile made the area so fertile, they started reproducing 10 times more then the year before. Or maybe it's because I got to them before the mower...
I did leave many more where they grew, with my mere 45-50 being maybe half. They earned their own row by the flower walk way which is the entry path. Now let's see how well they grow here. (imaging a beautiful morning walk into the garden to observe the awakening of the world as I pop a few luscious small strawberries in my mouth.... sigh....)
Sweet dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...