Saturday, September 1, 2007

Cannelini soup, trails and creek beds* many pics

I have a deep enjoyment for the Cannelini bean, which is also referred to as a white kidney bean. out of all soup beans, this is the ultimate favorite in my cooking. I think it stems back to when I lived in Pompano beach Florida and worked in a small Italian restaurant. I would waitress lunch hours and a benefit was free lunch. The cook was an Italian American who indulged me with lessons in Italian cooking during down time. I would stand next to him, watching as he prepared dish after dish.Inhaling the aroma's coming from the pans and pizza oven which filled the air and wafted out the door to passerby's.
After time and on occasion, he would encourage me to make the lunch dishes as he supervised. This is where most of my cooking skill roots from. A thick Italian Man in his late 50's, sporting a neatly trimmed salt and pepper beard -with Patience of a Saint but a temper of a true New yorker Italian on a bad day. Each time I make foccacia I think of that little kitchen. With each Pizza that I top with thin slices of roma tomatoes, fresh broccoli, spinach and white cheeses or with each addition of Cannelini beans to the many dishes I prepare- I picture him smiling as he stood by watching his "student".
The days are cooling down and the mood for soups have taken over. Mid week recalling my lessons of earlier days, I made a pot of soup so thick with flavor and fresh vegetables, I am sure my Italian mentor would be proud. I sauteed sliced sweet Italian sausages in olive oil. adding diced mix of red and yellow onion, minced garlic, fresh celery and carrots. Stirring often and lifting the lid to smell the sweet scent coming from the stock pot. After a full half hour of letting all the ingredients mingle into each other and vegetables to soften, I added 1 can chicken broth 1 can cannelini beans drained and 2 cans cannelini beans with their juices into the pot. Stirring well as I added 1 can's worth of water. I let this simmer over medium heat for at another half hour before adding sliced fresh kale and greens. I mixed them in being sure they were covered with the soups juices and let continue to simmer for an additional 15 minutes before serving. After adding the broth and beans, I am preparing and baking the foccacia bread. I drizzle olive oil first then top ours with sliced red onion, chopped rosemary, Kosher salt, and thin slices of small tomatoes before placing in the oven. It was a perfect dinner for a fall like evening.
Yesterday we ventured out to check signs of the coming Fall in the local metro parks. This adventure took us to Furnace run in Richfield Ohio. we did see maple leaves on the trails which have turned a beautiful orange and yellow but just a few. We were lucky enough to stumble upon a big buck who had 2 does and 2 fawns grazing along the trails just 30 feet from us. They did not seem bothered by the noise of an Interstate just beyond the trees behind us and seemed relaxed and calm despite frog making noises. We walked both 1 mile trails, exploring and collecting rocks for an upcoming project when we came across a wide stone creek bed. We spent 1 1/2 hours playing and searching amongst its waters while frog napped contently in her wagon. We found some of the most amazing rocks which, if you are a believer in signs, you would understand their meaning- this was a day full of them to me- which started with the most perfect smiley face formed in my morning coffee- which I add creamer to. But the pictures below may speak for themselves:
A small portion of the creek bed
A small amount of the rocks we are collecting for a future projectA lesson in geology- 2 tone rocks-1 with red center showing through heart shape and 1 with tan color showing through tear drop shape
At the end of a hike, water colors and markers come out to capture a favorite moment of the dayOf course lush grass calls for some "Ring around the Rosie"I'm off to inspect the Lazy man potato beds and the bad behaved unripe tomatoes. School starts for panda this week and preschool for Lil' Man. (Yippee!) So Frog and I will have to learn to entertain ourselves soon.
Sweetest Dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...