Thursday, March 7, 2013

Turn vintage tin boxes into cute upcycled planters

I recently bought a box lot of rusty old boxes at auction (without viewing - often a mistake!) and back home I was a bit disappointed. The boxes were all damaged, dirty and rusted, used for screws in someone's garage, and I put the whole lot in storage for the time being.
Then last week, as I was sifting through old stock looking for planters to sell at my Mother's Day shopping event, I remembered them.

I decided to have a better look now and as I opened the rusty boxes, the brightly coloured insides of the lids stared back at me and I smiled. Beautiful vintage advertising signs, well preserved in the dark while the rest of the tins changed colour.

I made small holes in the bottom for drainage, as well as through the lid and side so I could put a piece of string through to hold up the lid. Pansies and other bedding plants are now growing where once screws were kept.
Upcyling at its best.







0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...