Friday, May 17, 2013

And then there were 3...

 Mother Nature came into play with the addition of those 4 eggs. Being they were laid 1 week later then the initial 3, they began hatching out 3 days ago. See the little beak raised between the back larger 2 hatch-lings?

 On that day, I found 2 of the 4 extra hatched out.  The scenario I imagined was not what I thought I would find during my tool grab on Thursday. Being they are so much younger, I thought for sure the older nest mates would smother the younger chicks or dominate the food train mother, in worst case scenario. Instead, I found all traces of them gone. Not even an eggshell. I searched inside the potter shed as well as the ground in front of the entrance, with their dive bombing parents yelling at me the entire time. My assumption is mother Robin disposed of them herself. Her "instinct" indicating they are the weaker links and as in the normal ways of many in wildlife, the weak are rarely kept or tended. 
So now, the Potter shed thieving Robin is back to feeding just 3 mouth's. 

Telle est la nature {Such is the nature}.
Sweet Dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...