Thursday, May 23, 2013

The day our Moose had super powers {and neutering}

Our Moose had his neutering yesterday. He LOVES car rides. He sits in the back looking forward, resting his chin on the front passenger seat, his nose sticking out from under the raised head rest, staring straight ahead rather intently. He never fails to make many of passerby or stop light side mates do a double take with his large size sitting either beside me rather human like or his back seat chin rest prop.

 Once on the freeway, I rolled down the windows about 4 inches. I kept hearing an odd noise followed by bits of wetness of my shoulder. Next glance over I discovered he was was chomping at the air blowing in from the window crack. Flapping his droopy jowls as saliva flew all over. Had me laughing as he always does. Glad he was in high spirits, clueless on where we were going.
I found a flyer some time ago for a reduced cost neuter/spay mobile unit. Being 1/3 the cost I was quoted at the vet, I quickly reserved a spot for our Moose. Being he weighs over 100 lbs, his neuter cost was HIGH with a vet. The mobile unit made it even less cost then that friends of pets program {again large dog meant you pay for their $65 waiver and take them to a participating vet who then charges an additional $70-$100 due to his size and "unknown" possible extras for his surgery.}So if the Canton Ohio area is in decent driving distance, I highly recommend checking out these guys:  http://www.spayneuterohio.com/ Ran by volunteers and makes $0 from the program.  
When I drove back to pick him up that afternoon, he was wagging his tail at the sound of my voice from his resting crate. I could tell the drugs were still effecting him. When we opened his crate, he immediately snuggled into me. Heart melt! I will say, there is nothing like a 104 lb moose dog doing the drunk walk to my car. Poor guy kept looking up with confused eyes every time he bumped into my legs as though I were the one not walking straight. 
Once home post op, he plopped down hard on the kitchen hall tile floor and passed out. His eyes rolled back showing nothing but pink. He didn't even flinch when I made a noise nearby. I had to check if he was dead!
 His breathing was so shallow I rested my head next to his chest to make sure he was breathing steady. Once I started whispering those sweet nothing dog owner endearments, he did mini weak wags of his tail. He laid like that for an hour. only lifting his tail a tad to wag weakly when I spoke or when the children came in from school.
A few hours later he was fully awake and wouldn't stop following me, constantly at my side, so I had to sit just so he would rest. Once it was time to give him a little food, he received his first 2 pain pills. Followed 20 minutes later with a quick jaunt out to pee.  And just my luck! Here comes Mr. Ground Hog 4 ft away, and there WE went as my drugged up moose became "super dog" bolting after it. Once I regained my ground, I had no alternative then to tackle his front end and roll with him so I wouldn't hurt his 6 hour old stitches or get them dirty.  I was far too weak to hold him back on the leash with his 200 mg of Novox induced super powers. He was dragging me so I had to jump & react quick before he tore open the surgery site. 
I swore those pills were a bad idea. The ground hog got away and now the doped up dog wants to go hunting every time I take him out... I'm thinking just 1 pain pill next time {he's far too strong and out of his mind to listen to me on 2}. Besides, having a little pain & discomfort will force the rest upon him.
Now I'm off to battle the 3 Kamikaze Robin parents & friend as I finish prepping the tomato patch  for planting. Crossing fingers being day 12, they will be out there.
Sweet Dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...