Thursday, October 7, 2010

Foraging for Sweet chestnuts & 6 days till ROAD TRIP!

Chasing Ming the Peke one day, during a stubborn jaunt across the road (chasing a stray cat twice her size), Frog & I discovered a Sweet Chestnut tree. Way out behind a house. Not by sight. No. You see, I was chasing that naughty dog not only in my Pajamas but barefoot.
Growing up in the South I am no stranger to Sand spurs. In the North my insatiable desire to be bare foot has not had cause for such concern. Until that day. The day I discovered Sweet Chestnuts. The size of oranges sprawled out a good 50 feet square from the Tree's trunk. Frog, not running as fast as I, was able to step between the little round bombs, avoiding the intense pain they share so freely to those who dare trample them.
Ming had sat by the trunk staring at me. I'm still not sure if she was laughing at me or scared of the howl that emitted from my mouth. Either way, she knew there was to be no more running and waited for me to pick her up.

Today, we spotted another tree. Not hidden behind a house or fence. But an abandoned home just down the road. The Chestnuts have been released from their limbs, ready for harvest. I quickly donned a pair of The Captains work gloves, remembering our last introduction, and began collecting as much nuts as I could. The squirrels have obviously been enjoying their share. Their chirps of danger, or possibly a warning, greeted me as I made my way around the tree. Many of these spiny husks were laying empty as well as lone chestnuts scattered about. I foraged as much as I could before heading back home to meet the kids as they came off the school bus.

I have never had the pleasure of eating a chestnut. Or at least I have no memory of it. The amazing versatility of this nut popped up with hundreds of pages on the internet. This particular site of BBC has over 150 recipes using chestnuts.
I fell in love with this recipe, which is a lovely compliment to candied chestnuts, also known as Marrons Glacés . I will be making the Marrons Glacés (provided by the lovely Not so Nigella),to go in our Holiday gift baskets. Along with the recipe for that chocolaty cream delight I linked above.
"These spiny "cupules" contain 3-7 brownish nuts that are shed during October.
They are widely popular in Turkey, Portugal, France, Hungary, Italy, Croatia, Bosnia and particularly in Corsica where they used by confectioners in puddings, desserts and cakes or are eaten roasted. They can also be turned into a flour or brewed into a beer.

The husk of the seed is very tough and the easiest way to prepare chestnuts is to cut a cross in the tufted end then blanch in boiling water. Once drained the husk will simply peel away. If these are then set aside to dry, they can be ground into sweet chestnut flour which is uses for pasta, breads and cakes.

It should be noted that raw sweet chestnuts are rather bland and astringent in taste but once cooked they develop a pleasant sweet and nutty taste that is most appealing. The sweet chestnut is one of the most versatile of the wild foods and is well worth foraging for. Of course, you can always use the shop-bought variety (typically Spanish). "
In a description of the nut, it is mentioned a shampoo can be made from soaking the husks & leaves in water. As well as being a medicinal used for whooping cough.

I hope to inquire of our "across the road" elderly neighbors, that I be permitted to harvest chestnuts of the way out back tree, for more edibles. Of course, as any good neighbor, I would offer to gather a basket full for them as well.

And on a different note, I planted our garden cover crop of winter rye more then a week ago. After 4 straight days of cold rain & dark skies, it has sprouted up. Such pretty burgundy colored sprouts! Being our first cover crop, I am excited to see this crop grow through the winter. It will be nice to see green in the garden despite the icey cold winter temperatures.



Now I must be off to begin my list for our road trip to Fort Worth Texas next week. We leave Wednesday & will not be back for 7 days. And the reason for this trip?
My baby brother Army & new Sister in law Marine are to be Married the 16th!! And guess who gets to play bridesmaid for the first time ever?! Did I mention it's a strapless dress & stiletto heels? Oh yeah. Farm Chick cleans up & is wearing heels!

Sweet Dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...