Saturday, October 23, 2010

This Life Of Ours...

Image from my own quote book titled - Taking Time To Just Be

I haven't had as much time to finish my book this weekend as I'd intended! First I went to the market yesterday, and today I've been to an antique auction.

This auction was at a big old mansion made from bluestone right in the middle of Ballarat. Yesterday the home itself sold for well over a million dollars (which would have been more like three million somewhere in Melbourne), and it still needs at least half that much (by my guess) to bring it back to its true glory.

Today, the contents of the estate were being auctioned off. I got there early and wandered through the rooms of the home looking at all the old treasures. There were ceramic pieces, artworks, and furniture from as far back as the 16th century. The person who lived there (I think it had been an old lady on her own in latter years) was obviously a great collector. Original artworks from some of Australia's most loved painters were on every wall.

In all, there was more money invested in 'things' within that home than I could probably ever hope to earn in 3 lifetimes.

I wandered outside to the verandah upon which was displayed boxes and boxes of old books, videos, and dvds. And, as I looked through those, it occured to me that this woman was just like me. She had paperback books of the sort I love to read, old funny videos, and dvd documentaries. Despite all her money, her massive and very impressive house, and her mountains of expensive things...... this woman had liked reading and watching stuff I liked to read and watch.

And, I wondered...... did all those 'things' in her home, the gazillion dollars worth of stuff, truly make her happy? Did she gain strength, happiness, support, nourishment, contentment, and a feeling of love from the treasure trove she had built up?

I have to admit whilst I could see how old and obviously valuable alot of the things inside the home were, I didn't actually like a lot of it (I hope she did). It seemed more like something you'd buy because it was worth a lot of money, not because you loved to look at it or because it sang to your soul. There were about 15 items in the whole house I liked, and perhaps one painting I could see on my wall. But that was it.

Was she obsessed with collecting stuff that seemed 'important'? Did these things fill her with pride, or satisfaction at being able to afford them, and yet not give her feelings of joy and belonging?

I'd love to have met her and found out.

Then, about an hour after I left the auction (didn't buy anything, was just there to look!).... I got word to say a friend's father had taken a massive heart attack and was in an induced coma awaiting bypass surgery sometime in the next few days.

Life is so transient isn't it.

Here today, gone tomorrow.

This afternoon, I spent time with my 80 year old mum who lives just around the corner from me. She's as fit as a fiddle for her age...... but today's events remind me she won't be around forever.

I love my mum. My beloved dad passed away 12 years ago, so mum's my closest family!

It's good to remember the important things in life, and realise how lucky I am. I may not have a huge house, and I may not own heaps of expensive stuff, (just things that really sing to my soul and contribute positively in some way)...

.... but I have enough.

I have more than enough, because I have love in my life, and my life is mine for the making.

I'm pretty healthy, I have great friends, a great partner, my wonderful mum and family, a furry friend who loves me no matter what, a fab part-time teaching job that leaves me enough space to indulge my other passions (like design) and yet pays the bills....

..... I am blessed.

And, I am grateful.

Linda. xox

******

Let's talk on Twitter!
Straight from me to YOU - subscribe!
New to Heartfire At Home? Start here.
And if, perchance, you BELIEVE.... join here.

******

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...